What is Information?
- Information is any material in any form. It includes records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, logbooks, contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form. It also includes information relating to any private body which can be accessed by the public authority under any law for the time being in force.
What is a Public Authority?
- A "public authority" is any authority or body or institution of self government established or constituted by or under the Constitution; or by any other law made by the Parliament or a State Legislature; or by notification issued or order made by the Central Government or a State Government. The bodies owned, controlled or substantially financed by the Central Government or a State Government and non-Government organisations substantially financed by the Central Government or a State Government also fall within the definition of public authority. The financing of the body or the NGO by the Government may be direct or indirect.
What is a Public Information Officer?
- Public authorities have designated some of its officers as Public Information Officer. They are responsible to give information to a person who seeks information under the RTI Act.
What is an Assistant Public Information Officer?
- These are the officers at sub-divisional level to whom a person can give his RTI application or appeal. These officers send the application or appeal to the Public Information Officer of the public authority or the concerned appellate authority. An Assistant Public Information Officer is not responsible to supply the information
When does it come into force?
- It comes into force on the 12th October, 2005 (120th day of its enactment on 15th June, 2005). Some provisions have come into force with immediate effect viz. obligations of public authorities, designation of Public Information Officers and Assistant Public Information Officers and constitution of Central Information Commission, constitution of State Information Commission, non-applicability of the Act to Intelligence and Security Organizations and power to make rules to carry out the provisions of the Act
Do I need to specify the reason for filing RTI application?
- No, You do not need to specify the reason for filing RTI in RTI application format,
Does onlineRTI receive the response on behalf of the complainant ?
- No we don't receieve the response. The response will reach you directly.
How much days it would take to get the response from the PIO ?
- 30 days from the date of application
- 48 hours for information concerning the life and liberty of a person
- 5 days shall be added to the above response time, in case the application for information is given to Assistant Public Information Officer.
Does online RTI act as a anonymous RTI activist?
- At present we don't allow anonymous filing. If you want anonymous filing go here
What is the format for filing RTI application ?
- Although there is no prescribed format for RTI application, we file RTI application in a presentable format so it is easy for PIO to provide you the
information. Write in simple terms on what kind of information you need and our team will file it in a neat presentable format.